Monday, July 20, 2009

Woman Killed in Hit-And-Run on Amstredam Ave

From nydailynews.com

A beloved Harlem woman was mowed down early Monday by a hit-and-run driver who hit her so hard he knocked her out of her shoes, police said.

Debbie Evans, 48, was struck by a speeding SUV at 3:10 a.m. as she tried to cross Amsterdam Ave. near W. 145th St., police said.

The impact - which knocked Evans out of her shoes - instantly killed the mother of two, police said.

"She was my daughter and I loved her very much," said her heartbroken mother Ethel Carter. "Debbie was the oldest. I had four children, now I have three."

Witnesses said the SUV, which was either grey or silver, never hesitated after it fatally struck Evans.

"I saw an SUV hit her, a little old lady walking across the street," said Steve, a trucker from Georgia who would only give his first name.

"The car was going faster than it should be; she never saw him coming," said the trucker. "It's a travesty."

A side mirror was found near the accident scene. Investigators believe it fell off the SUV that hit Evans. Cops were searching the area for surveillance video that may have captured an image of the speeding vehicle.

"How can you just not stop?," screamed Evans' anguished friend Stacey Diggs, who had eaten dinner with the dead woman moments before the accident. "Accidents happen [but] you help people out."

Evans, who had recently been staying at a SRO downtown, was a well-liked presence in the Harlem neighborhood where she died, friends said.

She had battled a crack addiction since the 1980s and had two children. She was trying to clean up and straighten out her life, her mother said.

"All the time, I would worry about her," said Carter, 61. "I forgive her for everything she did."

"I want the person who hit her to come forward. Someone help me find the person who hit my daughter."

No comments:

Post a Comment